Background

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Songs: Yay or Nay?

Now I realize this is a bit controversial, and probably frowned upon, but I do not like Christmas Music in general. People seem to assume that this means I don't love Christmas. But that's not so. I ADORE Christmas. Especially now that I have a child, and get to see Christmas through the new, excited eyes of a child. It's probably my favorite holiday. I love turning on the lights on our tree, and just staring at it. I love looking at the presents under the tree, even though I know that none of them are for me. But I can't wait for my hubby and daughter to open their presents. I'm just so darn excited!!!! But I don't like most Christmas music. I'm sorry people, but new songs are written every day. New number one hits come out once a week. So why tell me why are Christmas songs always the same?!?!?! The only thing that changes are the people who sing them!!! I'm sorry, but after hearing "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" four different times, but 4 different singers, in a two hour period, on the same radio station, I want to shoot myself in the head! However, there is one Christmas song that I will always love. Well, no, that's not true. Some artists can slaughter this song. But this song almost always touches me, and overwhelms me with the Spirit of Christmas, and the sanctity of this holiday.

O Holy Night

Also, I recently discovered (as in yesterday) a new Christmas song. I realize the song isn't new compared to most songs, but in comparison to other Christmas Songs, this one may as well have come out yesterday. And I appreciated this song. I appreciated that it's a new Christmas song, but still reverent, and focuses on the Christ child, who is the reason we celebrate this beautiful time.

A Baby Changes Everything

And lastly, to end this rant against Christmas music, with more Christmas music (I know. Even I don't understand how my mind works) is a beautiful song by Amy Grant. I have always admired Mary, Mother of Jesus. My favorite scripture is Luke 1:37, when the angel comes to tell her that she will be the Mother of hte Son of God, and she asks how this can be, and the angel tells her, "For with God, nothing shall be impossible." I cannot wait to ask Mary one day how she felt, and I often wonder what life was like for her. I would love to hear the Christmas story from her point of view, and I think this song probably accurately describes how Mary was feeling.

Breath of Heaven

1 comment:

  1. A Baby Changes Everything is my new favorite Christmas song! Bryce bought me the album 2 years ago when it came out just for that song and I love it! Also, having just had a baby this Christmas time it was close to my heart and fresh in my mind.

    ReplyDelete